Sunday, December 26, 2010

Perhaps some inspiration?

With less than a week left in 2010, the thought of “New Year’s Resolutions” may be lingering in people’s minds.  Each year we make ourselves promises of how our new year will shape up.  Probably the most common resolutions that I hear are Quit smoking, lose weight, save more money.  We start off with good intentions, but how many of us actually keep up with our new goals?  Life gets busy and the next thing we hear is “better luck next year”.  I think most people try to make too drastic changes and then get discouraged when it doesn’t work.  A couple of years ago I decided to make myself a goal of becoming more active and more fit.  With a lot of patience and time, it worked.  I didn’t expect any miracles, but if I could do it, I think anyone can.  Here is my story

A couple of years ago, I was overweight.  I weighed about 140lbs and am only 5’2.  I kept wondering why my pants were getting tighter and I blamed it on the washer shrinking my clothes.  I also had no real motivation to get active.  I started playing a little bit of Ultimate Frisbee, because it was something my then-boyfriend was into, but I was not able to keep up with the ultimate crew  I was always out of breath by the time I made it to the other side of the field.  It probably didn’t help that I was in a relationship where there was a lot of wine and beer drinking going on.  I joined in because it was a new relationship.  Other than snowboarding and Ultimate Frisbee, I was also not really encouraged to get active either.

Once the relationship ended, it didn't help matters because I more or less lost contact with the social group - except through Facebook. I decided that I wasn't going to sit around waiting for things to happen, so I'd finally had enough and decided to make a change. This was also the time of my life where I discovered my IBS and made changes to my diet.  It took me a while to realise what was happening, but once I finally found a way to overcome it, I couldn't be happier.

I joined a gym, bought my mountain bike and got active. I am in love with Kickboxing and this year I’m playing my 3rd season of ice hockey too. I also decided I wanted to give myself a challenge and started training for my first running event.  This was a major accomplishment for me since I have never been a runner because of the large size of my breasts.  (I had breast-reduction surgery in 2007).  In May of 2009 I ran/ walked my first 32km event (The Galloping Goose Linear Walk), followed by the 64km big one in June of 2009 (The Great Walk – North America’s Toughest Pledge Walk).

Since moving to the Island, I've lost about 15lbs (a combination of eating right and an active lifestyle). 

Today, I am finally happy with my physical status..getting my stomach issues under control, I love working out and being active and feel all around happy.  I am also blessed with having found a wonderful man to share my life with. 

I think that it’s important to remember that life isn’t always going to be fun and games and challenges will always lie ahead…it’s how you react to these challenges that will determine the outcome. A little while back I found these quotes on the “Status Shuffle” application for facebook. 

“In order to get the rainbow you must tolerate the rain.”

“You only have one life, so live it up everyday because who knows when will be your last!”

“We should challenge the impossible, explore beyond our comfort zone, refuse to be limited by boundaries and never settle for less than we deserve.”

“There are 3 kinds of people: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened.”

“Your life is your story, you write it chapter by chapter.  Decide how you what the story to end, then make it happen!”

Have a great day!

Beaglebea

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment