Sunday, January 16, 2011

Another Asian inspired meal

Well I wasn’t up to anything too interesting this weekend. I was actually feeling a bit under the weather. It was a rainy weekend to boot and so I decided to lay low and hang around town.  Had another hockey game Saturday night (and yes, I scored another goal Smile) and Sunday was a quiet day of cleaning up and shopping for groceries. And it was my friend’s Birthday Sunday.  Too bad she lives too far away to celebrate with her.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY REBECCA

A couple of highlights of my weekend were:

#1) I did finally get around to purchasing a new pair of running shoes at our local running store.  After trying on 3 pairs of shoes and walking around the store numerous times, I went with these:

running shoes

Brooks Cascadia Trail runner. 

They are a trail runner, perfect for my May 1st event.  I think they will be well broken-in and this also means that tomorrow I can finally run shin splits free (I hope). 

#2)  I bought a new Wok.  Been meaning to get one for a while now and after my very successful attempt at making Pad Thai last week, it was time to buy one.  It came in handy Sunday night too Smile


ASIAN INSPIRED CHICKEN AND SHRIMP STIR-FRY WITH COCONUT SAUCE

Another successful attempt at making a flavourful stir-fry.  And guess what?  It’s Dairy Free and Gluten-Free…the best of both worlds.

DSCN3783

Ingredients:

DSCN3752

To make the sauce

  • 2 Tbsp  olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp  ginger puré
  • 2 tsp  curry paste
  • 1 tsp  Tabasco Sauce
  • 1 can diced tomatoes in juice
  • 1 can Coconut milk
  • 4 Tbsp  peanut butter
  • 2 tsp lime juice
  • salt and pepper to taste

To make Stir-fry

  • 2 Tbsp  olive oil
  • 8 oz  boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in small pieces
  • 8 oz shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 800 gr assorted veggies
  • 1 Tbsp sesame seed oil
  • salt and pepper to taste.
  • 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro

Garnish – chopped peanuts, cilantro, green onions (your choice)

How to make

Make the sauce first.  Heat oil on medium heat.  Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook until onions translucent.  Then add your curry paste and hot sauce and cook for a few minutes.

DSCN3759

Add tomatoes, coconut milk, peanut butter and lime juice.  Reduce your heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. 

DSCN3760

Now transfer the mixture to your blender (I used my Vitamix) and blend until you get a smooth sauce.  Return to saucepan and keep warm until you are ready to use it.

DSCN3768

DSCN3769

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now time to make the Stir-fry.  On medium heat, heat your oil in your Wok.  Add your shrimp and chicken and do a quick sauté.  Careful not to cook too long as you don`t want to make your shrimp tough.

DSCN3774

Add your veggies and sesame oil.  I used carrots, broccoli, pepper and bok choy.  Continue to sauté until your veggies are mostly cooked. 

DSCN3776

Laddle a desired amount of the reserved sauce into Wok and continue cooking until your chicken is tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.  Add your cilantro right before serving.

DSCN3777

Serve over rice.  Garnish with more cilantro and chopped peanuts. 

DSCN3782

DSCN3780   I also had one of these to go with my meal.  It was left in my fridge after having a few friends over. 

 

 

 

 

 


Stay tuned for a gluten-free applesauce cake coming soon to Beaglebea. 

Did you do anything interesting this weekend? Make anything new and exciting?

See you soon.

xoxo

Bea

1 comment:

  1. Yum... that looks tasty!!!

    The only fun thing I did this weekend was a zumba class!! LOVE IT!!

    Don't forget your guest post tomorrow on your blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete