Day 3 was much better. I slept until 11am and felt pretty good when I woke up. My throat doesn’t have a burning sensation anymore, more of a scratchy feeling, which is due to the white lumps on my tonsils. My appetite hasn’t really returned yet, but my fever has also broken, which means I’m good to go back to work tomorrow.
Having felt better today, I also had enough energy to make my way to the kitchen and bake up this scrumptious looking loaf cake. I’ve adapted the original recipe to make it Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free. (taken from Better Homes and Gardens Diabetic Living Recipes).
- 2 cups Gluten-free Flour mix
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats ***
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup sucranat sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg (1 Tbsp ground Flax and 3 Tbsp water)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- some icing sugar to dust on top
*** According to the Canadian Celiac Association, pure and uncontaminated oats are now being produced, but you have to make sure you buy oats that are clearly identified as being GF (Bob’s Red Mill is one brand that I know about). ***
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, use a fork to stir together flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Set the flour mixture aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the 2/3 cup sugar and butter. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until mixed. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and applesauce to beaten mixture, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in nuts. Spread batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into slices to serve. If desired, top each slice with raspberries or drizzle with a chocolate-merlot sauce. Makes about 20 servings.
Hope you enjoy…will try to make something interesting tomorrow, but will be a busy day… I have a staff meeting after work, so will be a long day. I’m thinking it’s the last of my leftovers tomorrow.