Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Salmon and Maple

How was everyone’s day?  Mine was good.  If you live in BC, you surely heard of today’s big event:  The Great BC Shakeout

shakeout

Over 460,000 people participated in this event by practicing the “Drop, Cover and Hold On” drill.  It was the largest earthquake drill in Canadian history and they want to make this a yearly event.  It took place at 10am.  My school unfortunately did not participate this morning as we had a scheduled theatrical presentation at 9am, but I will be running an earthquake drill in the near future with my class. 

One of the things I love about living on the West Coast is our accessibility to Salmon.  It’s my favourite fish, prepared in many ways…on the BBQ, baked in the oven, smoked.  Earlier this week I was surfing the blogging world and came across some Salmon patties.  (I don’t remember who’s blog this was, so please let me know if you do… kudos to you).  Reading that blog inspired me to create a little something with salmon since it’s been a while. 


Salmon Patties with Maple Sprouts

DSCN3912

The only complaint I had about the patties was that they were a bit too wet, so they kind of fell apart when I was browning them.  I guess I should have added breadcrumbs, but I didn’t have any around the house.  They still tasted really good.

First, chop up 1/2 onion, 1/2 red pepper, 8 button mushrooms and 1 carrot. 

DSCN3895

DSCN3896Heat up 1 Tbsp olive oil in frying pan and add chopped vegetables.  Sauté until tender.  Also add a handful of chopped spinach.

DSCN3898

Transfer mixture to bowl and add chopped cilantro, rosemary and thyme.  Add some salt and pepper, a dash of worstershire sauce, soy sauce, a Tbsp Chicken bouillon and paprika. 

Now some ripe brie cheese.

DSCN3902

Also add one egg and canned salmon to mixture and mash together with a potato masher or your hands. If at this time you find your mixture is too wet, add some breadcrumbs until just right.

DSCN3903

Now form patties. 

DSCN3904

Brown your patties on both sides in a non-stick frying pan until brown and then place on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350F oven until fully cooked.  You will want to flip them too at some point. 

I served these patties with Maple Brussel Sprouts.  I found the recipe on Foodista website.

Maple Glazed Brussel Sprouts

DSCN3910

The sauce was really yummy.. I love most things maple. 

  • about 10 Brussel sprouts
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Bragg Soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch

To prepare the Brussel sprouts, trim the stems and cut an X into the base, about 1/4 inch deep.

DSCN3906

In a 3 – quart saucepan, combine the wine, water, maple syrup, and soy sauce and stir together. Add the Brussels sprouts. Stir together, then cook, covered, at a gentle simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 10 minutes.  Dissolve the cornstarch in a small amount of water. Stir into the saucepan quickly, then cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a covered casserole dish to serve.

DSCN3909

That’s all for the day.  I have some art work to complete for Friday’s class.

See you tomorrow.

Bea

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. I made salmon patties last night! Yours look good!! Awesome addition of the brie!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I love brussels sprouts! That brie looks tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salmon and brussels sprouts are two of my most favoritist foods!! :D

    ReplyDelete