Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hockey High

So Saturday night I played my first hockey game after being off for 10 days due to tonsillitis and a cold.  And I came back with a fire lit under my butt.  I had my best game of the season and since starting to play 3 years ago.  I scored two goals and had an assist.  I came close to getting my very first hat trick and the ladies tried so hard to help me reach it, but oh well.  I’ll try again next week. 

And now for some sad news…  I got a phone call last night from my dad.  They had to put down my family dog.  Sad smile  Xena was my little warrior princess.  She was a black miniature Schnauzer.  I still remember the day we brought her home.  She was such a tiny little bundle of never-ending energy and joy.  RIP Xena… I will miss you.  She was 14 yrs old.

Xena2 

 Xena1

Xena3


Good Old Steak and Potatoes

DSCN3967

Sunday Night’s meal was some good old meat and potatoes.  It wasn’t raining and Trevor requested a tasty steak for dinner.  Lucky for him, I have an abundant supply of meat in my freezer.  So it was time to take out a package of Bison Rib Steaks.

DSCN3964

I marinated these babies in some olive oil and jerk rub and set them aside until they would meet their fate on the BBQ. 

In the meantime, I prepared a big pot full of red cabbage.


Braised Red Cabbage

To prepare the red cabbage, cut into quarters and trim the stems.  Slice thinly and set in bowl.

DSCN3951

Prepare the other ingredients: 

  • 2 medium onions, sliced thinly
  • 2 apples, cored and sliced thinly

DSCN3952

DSCN3953

 

 

 

 

 

In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and add onions and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until somewhat translucent.  Next add the apples and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. 

DSCN3954

Now add your red cabbage and these ingredients:

  • 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar or Champagne vinegar
  • 2 – 3 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 cup red wine
DSCN3955

Stir everything together and boil over medium-high heat.  Now cover and cook on medium-low heat for about 35 – 40 minutes or until cabbage is tender.  You may have to add some more red wine if you cabbage needs to cook a bit longer.  Never let the pot go dry.  


Swiss Potato Pancake “Roesti”

My mom used to make this all the time growing up and it’s a perfect way to use up day-old baked or boiled potatoes.  “Roesti” is generally eaten as a side dish, but can be varied by adding ingredients and seasonings of your choice.  And it’s a great alternative to the all-American or Canadian Hash browns.

To make this, start off by grating about a pound of cooked potatoes like this and set aside.

DSCN3956

Chop up one medium onion.  In a non-stick frying pan, heat about 3 Tbsp. of butter or olive oil over medium-high heat.  Then add your onions to the pan and cook until they turn translucent. 

DSCN3957

Add some salt and pepper to taste and add your potatoes to the pan as well.  Mix the potatoes and the onions together and flatten with a spatula into the shape of a pancake…it should fit the entire width of your frying pan. 

DSCN3959

Make sure element is medium-low heat and allow to fry until brown from bottom.  Now you will need to get yourself a plate a little bigger than your pancake.  Place the plate on top of your potatoes and FLIP!  Slide the potatoes back into your frying pan and continue to cook until brown on this side too.  (sorry for not taking pictures of this process..I only have two hands).  Regardless, it should look like this.

DSCN3962


And of course we couldn’t leave out the dessert either.  When I was at the grocery store this afternoon, I came across this product.  I’ve heard lots about it, so I splurged.

DSCN3969

It was creamy, delicious, flavourful, chocolaty goodness. And since Trevor is lactose intolerent, it was a perfect finishing touch to our Sunday night meal. 

DSCN3971

I even drizzled the last of my Chocolate Merlot Sauce for a special touch. 

Has anyone else tried this Ice Cream?  What is your favourite flavour?

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  With a fully belly and my lunch made for the morning, I”m ready to relax on the couch. 

Happy Monday everyone.

Much love,

Bea

xoxox

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet Xena, rest in peace sweet doggie!

    I love the So Delicious coconut milk ice cream SO much. I'm personally a huge fan of the vanilla, but the chocolate is decadent and delicious too. I've had the green tea flavor to switch it up (awesome!), and the cherry amaretto flavor is also divine!

    ReplyDelete