VEGAN + DAIRY-FREE
What can I say about this post other than …. hmm hmm chocolaty good. I haven’t consumed any treats in such a long time and then I came across a recipe (I can’t remember where though) that featured So Delicious Coconut milk as one of ingredients. And guess who happened to have an open carton in the fridge… I just had to use it up before it went bad…how could I not?
Take a look at these bad boys…and they are relatively healthy too. I customized the recipe to my own preference to make them a little more healthy than the original version. Next time I am also going to attempt a gluten-free version of these muffins, but for now, they will have to do with being vegan + dairy-free. I wish I could remember where the original version came from…doh!
- 2 cups Spelt Flour
- 3/4 cup pure cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder (gluten-free and aluminum free)
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup 100% pure pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup raw agave syrup
- 1/2 cup strong brewed espresso
- 1/2 cup So Delicious Vanilla Cocunut milk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract ( I put in a tad more since I love the flavour)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 handful of organic semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Yield: 12 muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk maple syrup, pumpkin purée, agave syrup, coffee, coconut milk and vanilla.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into greased muffin tins about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out nearly clean.
You will notice the batter is quite stiff and the muffins are very dense, just like a brownie.
They definitely have the consistency of a brownie.
Careful to not over bake them as I think they may get too dry. They taste great and have a slight coffee aroma. What I loved about these is that they do not contain one ounce of refined sugar or flour and only 2 Tbsp. of olive oil for the entire recipe. Doesn’t get much better than that.
Hope you enjoy them as much as I did. But remember, eat in moderation!