Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bad Luck

How was everyone’s weekend?  My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people in Japan who have been devastated by the Quake and Tsunami.  Such devastation Sad smile  If you have family or friends living in Japan, I truly hope that everyone is safe.  In the wake of such disasters, it truly makes me feel grateful for what I have and makes me think again about having an emergency kit ready in case we are ever hit with a natural disaster.  Scientists have been predicting that we are going to be hit with the “Big One” here on the West Coast; but how “ready” are we if something does happen? 

As for my weekend adventures…lets just say it involved a big BANG!

I decided to get my bike all tuned up again so that I can start riding to and from work this week.  I’ve had a flat tire since the fall and it’s been stored in the shed all winter, so I figured I better repair it so that I can ride Monday.  We removed the tire, patched up the tube and put it back on the bike.  I pumped it up to my desired PSI of 50.  As I was checking my front tire…BANG!  It scared the bejeezers out of me.  Trevor thought it was the BBQ at first because he had turned on the propane to clean it. When I took the rear tire off and checked the tube again…it was split into two.  It seemed to have ruptured right near the valve.  Luckily I had a spare tube, so I replaced it and pumped it up again.  Now I was ready for some Saturday afternoon adventures with a 7 year-old boy.  We hit some trails and rode around the neighbourhood.  Low and behold…. ANOTHER FLAT TIRE… I couldn’t believe it.  Same tire…3 flat tires.  I’m thinking there is something in the actual tire, but couldn’t find it.  Going to take the bike into the shop this week for a tune up…hopefully they can figure it out and I can begin riding again.  Frustrating indeed, but beginning to think that I am cursed.

I also played my last hockey game of the regular season Saturday night.  Our game was scheduled for 10:45pm..so late, especially with the time change in effect last night as well.  It was a fun game and I got to play center again.  It was even funnier when I took a shot and tried to score on my own goalie…hehe… at least it’s the first time in 4 years that I tried to do that.  I have a feeling I won’t live that one down.  We have a big hockey tournament at the end of the month…so looking forward to it.

And for some exciting news..at least to me Smile  I went shopping this afternoon and was on the market for some Peanut Butter.  Then I found this…and just about had to pick my jaw up from the floor.  I bought two right away because I’m not sure if the store will carry it again (since this is the first time I’ve seen it there).

DSCN4472

On to good eats… Sunday night was another Thai night.


Beef with Onions and Broccoli

DSCN4488

Ingredients:

  • 2 Tbsp  olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp Thai green curry paste
  • 325g  sirloin steaks, sliced thinly
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 6 scallions, chopped
  • 225g  broccoli, cut into florets
  • 225g  mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 400mL  light coconut milk
  • 3 kaffir lime leaves, chopped coarsely
  • 4 Tbsp  chopped fresh cilantro
  • Thai Rice Stir-fry Noodles – prepared as per directions on package

 

Directions

Heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry the curry paste for 1 – 2 minutes.  Add the meat, in batches if necessary, and stir-fry until starting to brown.

DSCN4483

Add the onions, scallions and garlic, and stir-fry for another 2 –3 minutes.  Add the broccoli and mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 – 3 minutes.

Pour in the coconut milk, add the lime leaves and bring to a boil.  Let simmer gently for 8 to 10 minutes, until the meat is tender.  Stir in the chopped cilantro and prepared rice stir-fry noodles.  Toss until well combined and serve immediately.  DSCN4484


I also decided to make a Dessert Hummus.  There are so many recipes out in the blogging land, so I just threw some ingredients together and voila!  Please put your hands together for…..

Double Chocolate Chip Hummus

DSCN4481

I blended together the following ingredients in my food processor:  1 can of chickpeas, 1/4 cup Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter, 1/4 cup Maple Syrup and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract. 

DSCN4473

Process until smooth, then fold in about a 1/4 cup chocolate chips.  The taste is incredible…I had a hard time not eating it by the spoonful.  But I did put some in my lunch bag for tomorrow… yipee Smile


Well time to go for tonight….. I`m still adjusting to the time change from last night.  We got off the ice at 12:15am and by the time I got home, showered and into bed, it was 1:30am (2:30am after the time change).  So an early bed time tonight, followed by a long day ahead of me tomorrow. 

Anybody have any interesting projects ahead of them this week?  It’s a short week of us.. Spring Break starts Friday and them I’m off to visit my parents. 

Have a great night.

Bea

xoxo

2 comments: