Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hey mom…look what I can do!

Wahoo..it’s hump day…which means one more day of work before Spring Break.  My district goes on break from March 18th to the 28th.  I’m looking forward to some time off.  My break will be spent with family and friends.  I’m also taking all but one of my recertification courses for lifeguarding while off.  My first course will be this Sunday – Standard First Aid and CPR-C.  This was the course I didn’t have the last time I tried to take my NLS recert back in February. 

Trevor also left for camp today Sad smile  He’s going to be in camp until Sunday this week, which means I won’t get to see him before the end of the month as I will be out of town by the time he comes home.  I’m hoping he may be able to make it out of town for a bit as well, but chances are slim.  Oh well. 

As for food, here is what I’ve been up to……


STUFFED PEPPERS DSCN4492

My mom used to make these when we were growing up and they have always been a favourite of mine, but for some reason I just don’t think to make them more often. And they are so easy to make…….

First brown some ground moose/beef/turkey/chicken/pork with 1 chopped onion, a couple of chopped garlic cloves and 1 cup of chopped mushrooms.  Then add one can of chopped tomatoes with the juice and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid has dissipated. 

DSCN4490

While the meat mixture is cooking, prepare the peppers for filling.  I cut mine in half and poured one can of spicy diced tomatoes into my large pot.  Then I placed the peppers in the pot.  I then filled the peppers with as much of the meat mixture that would fit into them.  Cover with lid and place on stove over medium heat. 

DSCN4491

You want the tomatoes to simmer and will want to cook the peppers for about 30 minutes, or until they are tender when poked with a knife.  Just before serving, top with some grated cheese.  I used Dill Havarti.  We ate ours over a medley of rice.

DSCN4494

DSCN4495


OMELETTES

I needed a quick meal since I got home really late tonight.  So I decided to use up the majority of my veggies in the fridge and created an omelette…something else I haven’t had in ages.

DSCN4507

Along with 3 eggs and 1/4 cup milk, into my omelette went the following ingredients……

DSCN4500

2 cloves of garlic, 1 orange pepper, 1/2 onion and 1 cup chopped spinach. 

DSCN4502

Into my egg mixture went 3 eggs, 1/4 cup milk, some salt and pepper, as well as a dash of smoked paprika. 

I placed the veggies into a hot frying pan with a dash of EVOO and once they were tender, I added the egg.  I let it cook over medium-low heat until the egg was set and then tried to fold my omelette in half, but it kind of fell apart.  Oh well..not the end of the world.. it didn’t make a difference to the taste.  I also added about a 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese.  It was very filling Smile

DSCN4503

DSCN4506


CHOCOLATE CHIP AND DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP RAW COOKIE BALLS

DSCN4523

Probably one of my favourite things about baking when I was little (and still today) is liking the spoon and bowl.  ESPECIALLY when it comes to cookie dough.  And as we all know, if your dough contains raw eggs, it’s a big NO-NO due to the risk of salmonella and other bacteria.  Well I have a solution for you……. eat as many of these as you want… and they are healthy and taste awesome.

Here is what you do….

Take your food processor and process 2/3 cup unroasted hazelnuts and 1/3 cup rolled oats.  Process until you get a flour-like consistency.

DSCN4508

DSCN4509

Next, add about 2 Tbsp Agave syrup, 1 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup and 1 tsp vanilla extract.  Continue to process until your mixture comes together into a ball.  If your mixture is a little dry, add a tiny amount of maple syrup and process until it comes together. 

DSCN4512

Now comes the fun part…..take a small amount at a time and add about 4 or 5 chocolate chips and form a small ball.  When done, put your balls in a container and store in fridge. 

DSCN4513

To make the double chocolate chip cookie dough balls

I followed the same process, but added 2 Tbsp of raw cocoa powder.  You may need to add a little bit more maple syrup as your adding more dry ingredients. 

DSCN4522


So guys… this will probably be my last post before the weekend.  I’m planning on eating my leftovers tomorrow to try and clean out my fridge before my vacation.  Tomorrow night will be spent doing laundry, packing and taking care of last minute details before travel day. 

I also have to fast Thursday night as I’m scheduled for a fasting blood test Friday morning to check my Iron and Cholesterol levels. 

And don’t forget…tomorrow is St. Patty’s Day… I’ll be wearing something green and going to work with wacky hair for Wacky Hair Day.  I’m also going to be making Green Monster’s for my class tomorrow… we’re studying nutrition and I’m hoping they will be open to trying something new… most said they will Smile  Wish me luck.

Have a great rest of the week everyone and will check back in with everyone this weekend.  Can’t wait to cuddle the puppy too.

With love,

Bea

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment